Mystic Wolf (maneofcrimson) wrote in rspca,
Mystic Wolf
maneofcrimson
rspca

WARNING! Please tell every dog or cat owner you know about Xylitol and Cocoa Mulch

Please Re Post:

Xylitol
Please see the facts about xylitol that can be found in gum like Trident. My friends dog, Purdy, died a horrible horrible death 2 weeks ago after eating her Trident gum with xylitol. It's not on Snopes yet but I can assure you it is real!!! Horrible tragidy.

http://www.healingspringsanimalhospital.com/2006_08.htm

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/edelman/2006/05/xylitol-sugar-s.php

http://www.dogtopics.com/?s=xylitol


Cocoa Mulch
*Email that was sent to me*:
Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving friends and family.

Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and dev oured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way.

The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats. Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'

This Snopes site gives the following information: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution, check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao beanshells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!! You would think no one would want to use this stuff for fear of killing a neighbors pet.


ASPCA: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1275&aid=3004

Consumer Reports: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/10/cocoa_mulch.html

Please Pass this On!
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic
  • 0 comments